Internal Audit Overview: The global Internal Audit Department is an independent and objective function reporting directly to the Audit Committee of the Aon plc Board of Directors. The global department has approximately 70 team members located primarily in Chicago, London, Amsterdam, Hong Kong. The department’s primary mission is to provides risk-based and objective assurance, advice, and insight to enhance and protect organizational value. Internal Audit is an advocate for risk mitigation and control, and proactively assists Aon management by identifying and recommending ways to manage business risks.
Role Description: The Senior Audit Manager-Krakow (SAM) is an internal audit and advisory professional with advanced and diversified financial services industry, risk assessment, and project management expertise. The SAM is primarily responsible for managing the completion of audit projects in line with professional and department standards, as well as assisting the Internal Audit Senior Leadership Team (SLT) in developing risk-based audit plans that are responsive to emerging risks.
Reporting administratively to the Senior Audit Director-EMEA in Amsterdam, the SAM and their respective Krakow based team is a shared Internal Audit global resource responsible for leading global, regional, and/or business specific audit assignments under the direction of Senior Audit Directors within the department. The SAM is flexible, adaptable, and able to quickly develop knowledge of, and manage, complex projects and assignments. The SAM’s role includes: i) communicating audit findings and recommendations to improve the company’s internal control environment to business unit management; ii) developing effective business relationships with key stakeholders; and iii) supervising audit staff and providing regular performance feedback.
- Leveraging knowledge of Aon operations to provide support, direction and oversight to audit staff on assigned projects to ensure understanding of the project goals, including assessment of the business control environment to develop an appropriate audit approach to achieve the audit objectives.
- Overseeing the completion of audit projects (e.g., core assurance audits, Sarbanes Oxley 302 & 404 compliance activities, special investigations, ad-hoc projects, etc.) included in the annual audit plan within budgeted timeframes and in line with professional and department standards.
- Establishing appropriate staffing levels for audit projects, including the use of external resources as necessary.
- Providing a first or second level review and approval of workpaper documentation to ensure the retained documentation supports the audit work performed and satisfies audit objectives.
- Influencing and building consensus with business line management on audit results and establishing professional relationships.
- Evaluating the adequacy of the internal control environment within select company business operations. Communicating audit findings and recommendations to improve the overall effectiveness of the company’s internal controls to business unit management. Preparing rated audit reports on the condition/adequacy of the company’s control environment.
- For assigned areas of audit responsibility, monitoring the status of management corrective action plans to ensure that significant process and control issues have been remediated. Updating the various management reports sent to executive management and the Audit Committee regarding the status of open control matters.
- For assigned audit staff, providing the necessary supervision, coaching and training as well as providing project feedback for audit project staff and external resources.
- Developing a strong knowledge base and level of expertise in the operations of assigned lines of business or functional areas.
- Interacting with senior business leadership in assigned areas through periodic meetings to knowledge sharing.
- Conducting and/or participating in annual risk assessment discussions, documenting changes to business operations, and providing input to the SLT on recommended audit projects for the annual audit plan.
- Assisting the Internal Audit Directors / Senior Directors in assessing key business risks and controls and in developing risk-based audit plans, which are responsive to audit priorities and emerging risk activities.
- As required, providing assistance to external auditors during their interim and annual reviews of the company.
- As assigned, assisting the Internal Audit SLT on department/corporate-wide initiatives and ad-hoc special projects.
- As required, perform HR Administrative Manager functions for assigned staff including career development discussions, as well as developing and providing annual performance assessments.
- As a global shared resource, participating in audit assignments as required in any location.
- Intermediate/Advanced knowledge of and experience in Aon operations (e.g., insurance brokerage, reinsurance, retirement, etc.) or comparable industry experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in both English and Polish required. Fluency in additional languages also desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to influence and interface with all levels of management within the company.
- Strong technical, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to focus on details and perform all required functions timely and with accuracy.
- Strong knowledge of insurance industry regulatory requirements.
- Ability to analyze and understand complex situations and apply knowledge to develop appropriate solutions.
- Strong organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective business relationships with internal and external constituencies and customers.
- Proven supervisory and leadership skills in being flexible, creative, team-oriented and results-driven.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of internal auditing standards and techniques.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and financial reporting requirements.
- Ability to travel internationally, as required.
- 8 plus years of audit experience with a large multi-national, financial services or Big 4 firm, including experience within a large multi-national firm in insurance, financial services, and/or other related fields.
- Demonstrated flexibility in working within culturally diverse environments
- Experience working within a matrixed managed environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance or comparable business degree and should also possess professional designations/certifications, such as Certified Public Accountant/Chartered Accountant, Certified Internal Auditor, etc.
- Industry designations/certifications such as CFA, CAIA, CIPM and/or licensed investment consultant are preferred.
- Master’s Degree desirable.
- The best medical cover on the market with free dental care
- Generous benefits package for your wellbeing (multisport cards, insurance, vouchers, and many more!)
- Stability of employment and permanent contract after trial period
- Brand new office supporting collaboration, flexibility and activity based working
- Internal career opportunities and individual development plan
- Unique workplace culture - we value openness, honesty and authenticity, so don’t expect formal dress code nor managers hidden behind closed doors
- Lots of social events, charity actions and opportunities to integrate with colleagues